Thursday, January 8, 2009

January Reading List

So, in light of my friend Ryan's post about some of the music he is currently listening to, I decided to make a monthly reading list to let you in on the books that I am currently reading. Since I am not a fast reader, I wanted to do it monthly so that its not the same books every week and also to keep me accountable on reading because I don't want to be writing six months later and still be reading the same books. So without further ado here are the books I am currently reading:

The Bible - This one will be a constant on my list, but since I'm not reading the whole bible every month, the books I am currently reading through are Galatians, John, and Amos.

Passion for Peace, Thomas Merton - This is a very profound book about how to live out a non-violent and peaceful life in a violent world. Merton also calls for all Christians to call for abolition of war. I'm sure I'll talk about this issue in another post, but I am loving the book so far.

Check all that Apply, Sundee Tucker Frazier - This is a book about finding wholeness as a multiracial person. Mrs. Frazier is a multiracial person, and she talks about her struggles of feeling like she has to choose a side when in fact she is both and should not have to choose. I have two multiracial nephews, so I thought it was a good book to read.

The Inner Voice of Love, Herni J.M. Nouwen - This book will also be a regular for a while. It's a book compiled of Nouwen's journal entries during a time in his life when he doubted everything: his belief in others, himself and God. But even during that time, he wrote in his journal every day. This is not a book to read through, but to read a journal entry a day, so that is what I am doing with it.

As I read through these books, I will most likely write my thoughts on these books. Also, if you have any books you would like to recommend, please tell me about it. Also I love Henri Nouwen and Thomas Merton, so those books will be on here a lot.

Until next time. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment